Home|Journals|Articles by Year Follow on Twitter

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

Original Article

IJMDC. 2020; 4(5): 883-888


Exercise-related injuries among female gym members in Qassim 2019

Yasser Alwabli, Khadijah AlRuwaili, Maram Alghadoni, Lujain Alsaleh.

Abstract
Background: Physical exercise is one of the essential activities people can do to improve their health and is a necessary asset for healthy aging. However, over-exercising may lead to an increase in the range of acute and overuse musculoskeletal injuries. The aim of this study was to estimate the extent of exercise-related injuries and evaluate the common types of those injuries among female gym members in the Qassim region.
Methodology: In this prevalence study, we targeted women attending gym centers in the Qasism region. A structured questionnaire was delivered online and 247 respondents completed the questionnaire. The main outcome measured were self-reported injuries, their location, and type.
Results: Of the respondents, 49% of them responded yes, they have injuries and, on the other hand, 51% had no injuries. There was no difference in the frequency of injuries between members who were trained by a trainer and those who are not (p-value = 0.788). Injuries varied according to body mass index (BMI). Injuries by anatomic location were counted as: injuries of the ankle (20.9%), the second most common location was the knee (19.0%), and the third most common location was the thigh (15.7%). The most common injury by body part was the injury of the muscles (55.7%) and most of these injuries were muscle strains (52.2%). Other less common injuries included ankle sprains and traumas that led to different bruises.
Conclusion: Physical activity is an important component in improving and maintaining health; however, injury is also an accompanying risk, and since the physical exercise trend is increasing among females in Saudi Arabia, we need more effective injury prevention methods.

Key words: Female gym members, exercise-related injuries, sport injury, sport club



Similar Articles

Neonatal Transplant in Hypoxic Injury.
Zheng T, Weiss MD
Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 2022; 2389(): 155-164

Contributing factors common to COVID‑19 and gastrointestinal cancer.
Kostoff RN, Briggs MB, Kanduc D, Shores DR, Kovatsi L, Drakoulis N, Porter AL, Tsatsakis A, Spandidos DA
Oncology reports. 2022; 47(1):

Lung Disease-Related Pulmonary Hypertension.
Ahmad K, Khangoora V, Nathan SD
Cardiology clinics. 2022; 40(1): 77-88

A deep dive into COVID-19-related messages on WhatsApp in Pakistan.
Javed RT, Usama M, Iqbal W, Qadir J, Tyson G, Castro I, Garimella K
Social network analysis and mining. 2022; 12(1): 5

Ultrasound Elastography for Hand Soft Tissue Assessment.
Giambini H, An KN
Hand clinics. 2022; 38(1): 119-128


Full-text options


Latest Statistics about COVID-19
• pubstat.org


Add your Article(s) to Indexes
• citeindex.org






Covid-19 Trends and Statistics
ScopeMed.com
CiteIndex.org
CancerLine
FoodsLine
PhytoMedline
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About BiblioMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Bibliomed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright © ScopeMed® Information Services.



ScopeMed Web Sites