Home|Journals|Articles by Year Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

Original Research

RMJ. 2008; 33(2): 205-207


Frequency of Barrett Esophagus in Patients with Symptoms of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

Obaid Ullah Khan, Abdul Rasheed.

Abstract
Objective: To determine frequency of Barrett’s esophagus in patients with symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Patients and Methods: The Prospective, observational study was conducted at Department of Gastroenterology, Military hospital Rawalpindi Pakistan, from January 2005 to May 2005. One hundred fifty subjects with symptoms of GERD were included in the study. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy was performed with Pentax EG 2940 to determine the underlying etiology. Three biopsy samples were taken to confirm the diagnosis.
Results: Out of 150 subjects, 21(14%) were found to have Barrett’s esophagus. The remaining 129(86%) showed inflammatory changes. Out of 21(14%) cases of Barrett’s esophagus, 19(90.5%) were males and 2(9.5%) were females.
Conclusion: Early upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and biopsy is recommended in patients with symptoms of GERD, as Barrett’s esophagus is relatively common in our set up. (Rawal Med J 2008;33:205-207).

Key words: Barrett’s esophagus, gastroesophegeal reflux, GERD, endoscopy


Full-text options

Full-text Article


Share this Article


Readers of this article also read the following articles
»Oil crisis and the potential role of agriculture in the post-separation of Sudan**
»POTENT PROTECTIVE ACTIVITY OF PANAX GINSENG AGAINST ACETAMINOPHEN-INDUCED HEPATOTOXICITY IN MICE
»Basal cell adenoma of the salivary gland: Cribriform type, a rare case with review of literature
»A study of the prevalence of overweight, obesity, and their associations with socioeconomic status among young men residing in a rural area, Kancheepuram District, Tamil Nadu, India
»Gastroprotective, Anti-Helicobacter pylori and, Antioxidant Properties of Moroccan Zizyphus lotus L.
»Comparison of clinical indications and postoperative histopathological diagnoses of hysterectomy specimens with benign preliminary diagnoses
»The Utility of Bispectral Index for Titration of Propofol Dosages and Recovery from Anaesthesia
»Splenic Artery Invasion of Gastric Carcinoid Tumor : Two Case Reports
»Co-relation between the pelvic floor muscle strength and the expiratory values.
»Chitinolytic efficacy and secretion of cell wall degrading enzymes from Trichoderma spp. in response to phyto-pathological fungi
»Comparison of 3D CRT and IMRT Tratment Plans



Advertisement
Journal of Interdisciplinary Histopathology

SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW




ScopeMed.com
BiblioMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About BiblioMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Bibliomed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright ScopeMed Information Services.