Home|Journals|Articles by Year|Audio Abstracts RSS - TOC
 

Original Research

Natl J Med Res. 2019; 9(4): 159-162


Effectiveness of audio visual counselling in tobacco consumers attending tobacco cessation clinic-A prospective interventional study

Darshan Kumar Bajaj, Surya Kant, Abhishek Dubey, Jyoti Bajpai, Ram Awadh Singh Kushwaha, Richa Tyagi, Manoj Kumar Pandey.




Abstract

Objective-Tobacco is the legally and commonly available substance that will kill almost 30-50% of its users so curtailing its use can significantly reduce the global mortality and morbidity. Objective of this study was to record the tobacco quit rates in apparently healthy individuals. Abstinence up to the time of 6 months of follow up was set as the primary outcome measure.
Material &Methods-Single center study was undertaken in 524 subjects over a period of 18 months at King George's Medical University, Lucknow, India. Apparently healthy attendants accompanying patients attending the department of Respiratory Medicine were the subjects for the study. Along with intensive counselling, demonstration videos and live interaction of patients were taken help of in the study.
Results-Smokeless tobacco use was seen in 326(62%) subjects, remaining 198(38%) were smokers. 85% of subjects were males. 18.7% quit rate was eventually recorded at the end of study.
Conclusion-Around 60% of its consumers want to quit but roughly only about 10% succeed. We observed better quit rates (18.7%) in our study, rigorous follow ups coupled with specialist behavioral were the key elements of the study. Implementation of strict policies for use of tobacco is the need of the hour.

Key words: Tobacco, Smoker, Smokeless Tobacco






Full-text options


Share this Article



Online Article Submission
• ejmanager.com
• ojshosting.net




eJManager.com
Review(er)s Central
JournalList
About BiblioMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Bibliomed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.