Home|Journals|Articles by Year|Audio Abstracts RSS - TOC

IJMDC. 2021; 5(5): 1183-1187

Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students

Amer Mohammed Almutairi, Khalid Mohammed Aladhadh, Saud Abdulaziz Alsayed, Faisal Fahad Alhuwairini, Anas Mohammad Alzuwayed, Sajida Agha.


Background: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is an anxiety impairment that is viewed as a chronic illness in which people experience uncontrollable and recurrent feelings and repeated compulsive behaviors that result in the relief of nervous symptoms in these patients. This study aimed to assess the prevalence of the probability of OCD among medical students.
Methodology: This cross-sectional survey was conducted by using the Obsessive-Compulsive Inventory-Revised scale. Around 283 medical students participated in this study by filling up the questionnaire.
Results: Among the 283 participants, 183 (64.7%) scored less than 21, and 100 (35.3%) scored more than 21, which indicates that they may have a probability of OCD. Of the 283 students, 46 (16.3%) sought psychological support for stress related symptoms. The students who sought psychological support had a 50% probability of developing obsessive-compulsive disorder according to the results. Concerning the 27 participants who experienced OCD symptoms in the family, seven (25.9%) had a lower probability of OCD and 20 (74.1%) had a higher probability of OCD.
Conclusion: This study shows that the prevalence of OCD among medical students is not low. It also shows that those with a family history of the condition and those who sought psychological support for stress-related symptoms had significantly higher chances of developing the condition.

Key words: Obsessive-compulsive disorder, medical students, psychiatry disorders, anxiety disorders.

Full-text options

Share this Article

Online Article Submission
• ejmanager.com

ejPort - eJManager.com
Review(er)s Central
About BiblioMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Bibliomed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.