Home|Journals|Articles by Year|Audio Abstracts RSS - TOC

Med Arch. 2013; 67(2): 101-103

Left Ventricular Hypertrophy: a Comparison Among Kurdish Patients with First-ever Ischemic Versus First-ever Hemorrhagic Stroke

Osama Shukir Muhammed Amin.


Background and Aim: Left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) has been proposed to be associated with an increased risk of stroke. We compared the prevalence of LVH among patients with first-ever ischemic versus first-ever hemorrhagic strokes. Material and methods: This observational study, which was conducted at the Sulaimaniya general teaching hospital from November 2009 to March 2012, involved 100 consecutive patients with their first-ever stroke. Fifty patients had ischemic stroke while the rest (n=50) developed hemorrhagic stroke. The presence of LVH was detected using transthoracic echocardiography and a comparison with respect to its prevalence between the 2 aforementioned groups was made. Results: The mean age of patients in the hemorrhagic group was 61.7 ±SD 11.2 years while in the ischemic group it was 63.9 ±SD 6.1 years. Out of 100 patients, 66 (66%) patients were males (31 in the hemorrhagic group and 35 in the ischemic group) while the rest (n=34; 34%) were females (19 in the hemorrhagic group and 15 in the ischemic one). Ninety one (91%) patients were hypertensive (47 in the hemorrhagic group and 34 in the ischemic group). Fifty three (53%) out of 100 patients demonstrated LVH (31 in the hemorrhagic group and 22 in the ischemic group). A head-to-head comparison between the two groups with respect to gender demonstrated no statistically significant difference in terms of the presence of LVH among patients with hemorrhagic versus ischemic strokes; males (P value

Key words: left ventricular hypertrophy; stroke; myocardial mass index

Full-text options

Share this Article

Online Article Submission
• ejmanager.com

ejPort - eJManager.com
Review(er)s Central
About BiblioMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Bibliomed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.