Home|Journals|Articles by Year Follow on Twitter

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

Original Article

Natl J Community Med. 2013; 4(1): 100-103


Nutritional Status of the Government School Children of Adolescent Age Group in Urban Areas of District Gautambudh-Nagar, Uttar Pradesh

Shalini Srivastav, Harsh Mahajan, Vijay L Grover.

Abstract
"Introduction: Adolescents are overlooked in most health programs as they are basically considered healthy population but the scenario varies. The present study was done with the objective of assessing the nutritional status of adolescent children attending a school in urban resettlement colony.
Methodology: A cross-sectional study was done covering 392 children between 10-19 years of age from two government schools and interviewed and anthropometric measurements taken.
Results: The overall prevalence of thinness was found to be 23.2% and severe thinness was found to be 7.4%.The prevalence of thinness and severe thinness in boys was 24.1% and 8.6% respectively whereas in girls it was comparatively low thinness 20.6 and 3.9%. Overall 12.5% children were found to be suffering from stunting and 1.5% from severe stunting. Moderate stunting was found in 13.7% and 12% girls whereas severe stunting was found in 0.7% boys and 3.9% girls.
Conclusion: Adolescents have the lowest mortality among the different age groups and have therefore received low priority in national health programs but considering the high prevalence of malnutrition in this important transitional phase of human life, the adolescent nutrition should be given prior importance in nutritional programs."

Key words: Adolescence, thinness, stunting



Similar Articles

Sensory-processing sensitivity and COVID-19 stress in a young population: The mediating role of resilience.
Iimura S
Personality and individual differences. 2022; 184(): 111183

Parental mediation in pandemic: Predictors and relationship with children's digital skills and time spent online in Ireland.
Sciacca B, Laffan DA, O'Higgins Norman J, Milosevic T
Computers in human behavior. 2022; 127(): 107081

Cannabis exposure during adolescence: A uniquely sensitive period for neurobiological effects.
Peters KZ, Zlebnik NE, Cheer JF
International review of neurobiology. 2022; 161(): 95-120

The impact of adolescent nicotine exposure on alcohol use during adulthood: The role of neuropeptides.
Chen G, Ghazal M, Rahman S, Lutfy K
International review of neurobiology. 2022; 161(): 53-93

Future directions for part II: Substance use disorders in adolescence-A vision for a better future.
Rahman S, Bell RL
International review of neurobiology. 2022; 161(): 303-307


Full-text options


Latest Statistics about COVID-19
• pubstat.org


Add your Article(s) to Indexes
• citeindex.org






Covid-19 Trends and Statistics
ScopeMed.com
CiteIndex.org
CancerLine
FoodsLine
PhytoMedline
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About BiblioMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Bibliomed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright ScopeMed Information Services.



ScopeMed Web Sites