Home|Journals Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

Original Article

J Liaquat Uni Med Health Sci. 2006; 5(1): 03-07


OUTCOME OF ST SEGMENT ELEVATED VERSUS NON- ELEVATED ACUTE MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION

Nazir A. Memon, Salma Kadir and Abdul Ghaffar Memon.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: To determine the outcome of patients with acute ST segment elevated myocardial
infarction (STEMI) versus non -ST elevated myocardial infarction (NSTEMI) in our setup.
DESIGN: A descriptive study.
SETTING: Cardiology department, Liaquat University Hospital, Hyderabad - Sindh from 1st May
2005 to 31st July 2005.
METHODS: Out of 580 patients hospitalized for acute coronary syndrome, 428 patients of acute
myocardial infarction were selected for the study. The patients were selected on the basis of
raised biomarkers (CPK, CKMB, SGOT, and LDH/Trop-T) and one of the two i.e. electrocardiography
(ECG) changes or history of chest pain. They were grouped into STEMI and NSTEMI.
RESULTS: Mean age of the patients was 52 years (range 3575 years). Majority of patients (73%)
was male and 27% were females. Out of 428 patients selected for study, 288(67.28%) had STEMI
while 140 (32.72%) patients had NSTEMI. Recurrent chest pain was present in 85 (29.51%) patients
of STEMI; 45 (52.94%) with ECG changes and 40 (47.05%) without ECG changes. In STEMI
group, complications were common, more in patients with recurrent chest pain and evidence of
ECG changes as compared to those without ECG changes i.e. 16% and 10% respectively. Mortality
was also higher (10.5%) in patients of recurrent chest pain and ECG changes compared to
those without ECG changes (6.8%). Among 140 patients of NSTEMI, 48 (34.28%) had recurrent
chest pain; 30(62.5%) with ECG changes and remaining 18(37.5%) without ECG changes.
CONCLUSION: In NSTEMI and STEMI patients, recurrent chest pain and ECG changes are bad
prognostic markers as compared to recurrent chest pain without ECG changes. These patients
are more likely to suffer complications and can benefit from aggressive/invasive strategy than
patients with recurrent chest pain without ECG changes. In NSTEMI group, complications and
mortality are more frequent in patients with recurrent chest pain and ECG changes compared to
those without ECG changes.

Key words: Myocardial infarction, Acute. Complications. Mortality.



Share this Article


Advertisement
Journal of Complementary Medicine Research

SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW


ScopeMed.com
BiblioMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About BiblioMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Bibliomed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright ScopeMed Information Services.