Home|Journals|Articles by Year|Audio Abstracts

Original Research

Ann Med Res. 2013; 20(3): 202-207

Evaluation of Demographic, Histopathologic and Radiological Features of Thyroid Cancer Patients

Özgür Değer1, İsmail Hakkı Ersoy2, Oğuzhan Aksu2, Banu Kale Köroğlu2, İbrahim Metin Çiriş3, Mehmet Numan Tamer2



Aim: Our aim of this retrospective study was to evaluate the demographic, histopathologic and radiological features of thyroid cancer patients.

Material and Methods: In our study 129 thyroid cancer patients were divided into two groups: group 1 (tumor size 1 cm). Parameters were age, gender, preoperative thyroid function test results, findings of nodule structure, nodule echogenicity and border features, presence of microcalcification and halo and anterioposterior diameter in preoperative thyroid ultrasonography, presence of radioactive iodine therapy, postoperative thyroglobulin values, postoperative diagnosis, histological type and size of the tumor, presence of multifocality and bilaterality, presence of invasion and recurrence after therapy.

Results: 27 (20.9%) of the patients were male and the remaining 102 (79.1%) patients were female. The preoperative average age was 44.8±14.4 years. There were no significant differences between two groups when compared to their age, fT3, fT4, TSH, TG, anti-TPO, anti-TG, supplementary operation, postoperative aphonia, hypocalcemia symptoms, multifocality of the tumor, bilateral tumor presence, nodule halo, anterioposterior diameter, recurrence, results of thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsy, structure and echogeneity of the nodule and pre- and postoperative diagnostic features. Most common preoperative histopathological diagnosis was suspicious malignancy (39.6%), whereas the most common postoperative diagnosis was papillary carcinoma (88.5%).

Conclusion: Extensive studies will enable the approaches with a result to minimize the disease related mortality and enable the early diagnosis of thyroid cancers.

Key Words: Thyroid Cancer; Patients; Demography; Histopathology; Epidemiology; Ultrasonography.

Full-text options

Share this Article

Online Article Submission
• ejmanager.com

ejPort - eJManager.com
Refer & Earn
About BiblioMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Bibliomed are open access articles licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY), which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons licence, and indicate if changes were made. To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.