A Case of Sudden Death due to Lighter Refill Gas InhalationSemih Petekkaya, Nusret Ayaz, Mustafa Dogan, Mucahit Oruc, Bedirhan Sezer Oner, Cihan Gokturk, Ahmet Celebi, Adalet Eda Budak, Ozcan Soylu, Osman Celbis.
A component of lighters refill tubes, butane is a colourless and flammable substance with gasoline-like or natural gas odour. The abuse of easily accessible lighter gas butane is increasing among children and adolescants and this abuse causes euphoric effects. Inhalants are the most commonly used drug after alcohol and tobacco among adolescents. In the literature, it is reported that butane inhalation directly affects central nervous system, respiratory and cardiovasculer systems. To prevent this increasing trend, we believe that society, especially youth, should be educated through precautionary educational activities, sales of lighter refill tubes should be monitored and be made age-restricted, and lighter refill tubes should have warning signs that everyone would understand and attract attention. We present a case of the sudden death of a seventeen-year-old male due to inhaling butane containing lighter refill gas with friends along with the autopsy findings and the results of toxicology and histopathology investigations.
Butane; Lighter Refill Gas; Sudden Death; Autopsy.
Journal of Contemporary Medical Education
SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE NOW