Home|Journals|Articles by Year Follow on Twitter| Subscribe to List

Directory for Medical Articles

Open Access

Original Article

J Liaquat Uni Med Health Sci. 2015; 14(1): 03-05

Prevalence of Homicidal Injuries by Sharp Force Trauma at Sukkur

Afzal Memon, Mohammad Akbar Kazi, Waqar Shaikh.

OBJECTIVE: To document the prevalence of most frequently targeted anatomical sites of the
body focused on gender vulnerability due to sharp force trauma, referred for autopsy at the
mortuary of medico-legal section of Civil Hospital Sukkur
DURATION AND SETTING: Medico-legal section of Civil Hospital Ghulam Mohammad Mahar
Medical College Sukkur from January 2008 to December2010.
STUDY DESIGN: Descriptive, retrospective
MATERIAL METHODS: Medico-legal record of 100 cases autopsied from 2008-10 at the mortuary
of medico-legal section Civil Hospital, GMMMC Sukkur, were thoroughly examined. The variables
considered were gender, age, injury pattern, cause of death, defense wounds and common
anatomical sites involved in homicidal outcome. Findings were expressed in numbers and percentages
in a performa designed for the above study.
RESULTS: The record of 100 autopsied cases at medico-legal section of Civil Hospital, GMMMC
Sukkur, showed that homicidal injuries by sharp force trauma were common with age group 29-
30 years, males were 65(65%) and the females were 35(35%) the mean age remained 30.88. 18
(18%) showed single injury and 82(82%) have multiple injuries. 46(46% ) of death was due to
hemorrhage and the rest 54 (54%) was due to injury to vital organs. Defense wounds were seen
in 26(26%) and the remaining 74 (74%) were without defense wounds. The commonest anatomical
part targeted in males was abdomen 25(25%) and in females was neck 30(30%).
CONCLUSION: The study showed that injuries by sharp force trauma were common with age
group 29-30 years with male dominance. The injuries were multiple and majority of victims had
no defense wounds. The most targeted anatomical area in males was abdomen and in neck females.
In majority of the cases, cause of death was injury to vital organs. The onset of sharp
force fatalities will be reduced if proper laws are framed to strengthen law enforcing agencies to
apprehend the culprits for appropriate punishments according to law.

Key words: Sharp force trauma, Homicidal injuries, autopsy.

Full-text options

Full-text Article

American Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health


BiblioMed Home
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About BiblioMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Bibliomed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright ScopeMed Information Services.