Home|Journals|Articles by Year Follow on Twitter

Directory for Medical Articles
 

Open Access

Original Article

Ann Hamd Uni. 2010; 1(1): 32-37


Frequency and causes of painful heel syndrome - An outcome of a series of treatment modalities for calcaneal spur / plantar fasciitis

Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui, Ali Ahmed, Syed Abdul Majid Ali, Tasir Ahmed Mumtaz, Mohammad Arshad Khan, Mohammad Irfanullah Siddiqui, Mohammad Younus Khan.

Abstract
Background: Painful heel is a common but a much-neglected medical condition. It has a benign origin/pathology; rarely there may be a grave underlying cause. Clinical reported work from Pakistan is non-existent.
Objective: To determine the most common pathological condition among other etiological entities of painful heel syndrome and to find a better treatment regime among different treatment modalities available at hand.
Study design: A multicenter cross sectional quasi-experimental study conducted from January 1999 till January 2009.
Setting: Data from four medium to large hospitals in the private sector of Karachi.
Subject: 310 cases of “painful heels” treated and followed up on the outpatient / indoor bases.
Main outcome measure: Associated risk factors, frequency and the different treatment modalities of calcaneal spur / plantar fasciitis and their outcome.
Results: Out of 628 cases of painful heel syndrome, 337 cases (54%) were due to plantar fasciitis/sub calcaneal plantar spur and the rest 291 cases (46%) were due to other etiological reasons. Cortisone injections provided a quick but temporary relief.

Key words: Calcaneal / Subcalcaneal spur, Planter spur, Planter fascitis, Painful heel syndrome, Tarsal tunnel syndrome



Similar Articles

Chemometric analysis of the global pattern of volatile organic compounds in the exhaled breath of patients with COVID-19, post-COVID and healthy subjects. Proof of concept for post-COVID assessment.
Zamora-Mendoza BN, Díaz de León-Martínez L, Rodríguez-Aguilar M, Mizaikoff B, Flores-Ramírez R
Talanta. 2022; 236(): 122832

Clinical Evaluation of the Rapid STANDARD Q COVID-19 Ag Test for the Screening of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2.
Kim HW, Park M, Lee JH
Annals of laboratory medicine. 2022; 42(1): 100-104

Prevalence of a Single-Nucleotide Variant of SARS-CoV-2 in Korea and Its Impact on the Diagnostic Sensitivity of the Xpert Xpress SARS-CoV-2 Assay.
Hong KH, In JW, Lee J, Kim SY, Lee KA, Kim S, An Y, Lee D, Sung H, Kim JS, Lee H
Annals of laboratory medicine. 2022; 42(1): 96-99

Clinical Utility of Methylation-Specific Multiplex Ligation-Dependent Probe Amplification for the Diagnosis of Prader-Willi Syndrome and Angelman Syndrome.
Kim B, Park Y, Cho SI, Kim MJ, Chae JH, Kim JY, Seong MW, Park SS
Annals of laboratory medicine. 2022; 42(1): 79-88

The Importance of Experimental Investigation of the CNS Oxytocin System.
Boulton KA, Guastella AJ
Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 2022; 2384(): 53-65


Full-text options


Latest Statistics about COVID-19
• pubstat.org


Add your Article(s) to Indexes
• citeindex.org






Covid-19 Trends and Statistics
ScopeMed.com
CiteIndex.org
CancerLine
FoodsLine
PhytoMedline
Follow ScopeMed on Twitter
Author Tools
eJPort Journal Hosting
About BiblioMed
License Information
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Contact Us

The articles in Bibliomed are open access articles licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
ScopeMed is a Database Service for Scientific Publications. Copyright © ScopeMed® Information Services.



ScopeMed Web Sites